Sunday, June 2, 2013

Persuasive Letter Final

Dear Father,

There are a lot of things that I wish I could change in society, but the main thing I would change is discrimination. Discrimination has just gotten to the point where it seems to put our society in a quagmire and it just seems to be damaging things in society. I believe that every truly has equal rights. Some people may not like change, but it is time for change to come. The highest form of discrimination that we see in today's society is that the homosexual community cannot marry one another. That is one a very touchy subject, but it is one that really needs to be talked about. The idea that gays cannot marry is ridiculous. It's in every persons civil rights to be able to marry. Even if that person is gay or straight, I believe that it should be done that way in today's society. Yes, most politicians see things differently, but even though in their generation being gay seemed wrong, it is time for them to move on. We need equality among everyone. One of my favorite quotes about being gay is said by the lead singer of Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong, and he said "We are all born bisexual, we love one another for who we are, not for what gender we are. Society just raises us to love the separate gender." Now, I may be paraphrasing that a bit, but that is the gist of what he said, and I completely agree with him.
Another form of discrimination that really bothers me is having tattoos. I don't think that it is a big deal if anyone has tattoos, I think they look good. Among the general public, I see so many people with tattoos. They all have suffered from some sort of discrimination, either it being something as simple as someone bashing on their ink (even if they just have 1), to something as complex as not being able to get a proper job just because they have tattoos that show. Even jobs that don't require you to mingle with the general public won't let you have tattoos. Sadly, I know when I get tattoos it is going to be extremely difficult for me to get a job in today's society, just because I will have something on my skin that someone else doesn't like. One of the strongest (yet stupidest arguments) is "how will you look when you get old, you won't be able to even tell what they look like," frankly I don't give a damn how they look when I get older. If you can honestly tell me that you are gonna be fantastic looking when your older and that your skin will look the same as when you were young, then I will barely think about not getting tattoos. The way I look at it is that if you don't like it, you should just keep your mind to yourself, that was the way I was raised and that is the way it should be. Even in old cultures tattoos where shown as a sign of dominance or royalty, "The practice is also confirmed by the Greek writer Herodotus c. 450 B.C., who stated that amongst the Scythians and Thracians 'tattoos were a mark of nobility, and not to have them was testimony of low birth.' This was written in the Smithsonian Magazine.
With tattoos becoming more and more common I believe in the next few years, workplaces are going to become more and more accepting of tattoos and piercings. Also with all the people getting tattoos in this day and age, when I become old all the people my age along with me will having tattoos. Dad, I just want you to think about all the people you know with tattoos. Look at my cousins Ryan and Billy and how well they are doing. They both have jobs, and they both have a loving family that they can support. I see this as something of importance. Just because you have tattoos does not mean that you cannot be successful in life, and by successful I do not mean being rich and having a huge house. I mean having a family that loves you and that will always be there for you. You don't need to have a big house either. As long as you are comfortable with your finances and as long as you can pay the bills and support your family, it does not matter if you live in an apartment, or if you live in a giant house, as long as you are happy, then you are successful. Our family shows us the example of that. Our cousins are successful in their own way and I am extremely happy for them. If and when I get tattoos I can't wait to raise my family, just to show that I can be successful in my own way.

Sincerely Your Son,


John Long

2 comments:

  1. If this comment connects. THANK GOD! I like how well written the whole letter is. You made some changes to the letter when I read it awhile back when you had one paragraph. You Ethos, Logos and Pathos is well organized as well as your TEA paragraph. I enjoyed reading more about this Tattoo letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this letter because the voice is very authentic and you are able to convey a real sense of compassion and understanding in your writing. Although you are persuading your father to agree (when he disagrees) you use a kind tone and logical reasoning to get your point across. Well done. There are some sentence level issues and the road map/introduction doesn't clearly frame the argument. You hint at where you are going, but don't come out and make those solid/specific claims in the thesis. Also, this is a bit light on the logos, but your use of pathos is compelling. Thanks for working on your writing this semester. You were a valuable member of our writing community!
    blog: 7 (annotations not linked to final paper)
    paper: 3+

    ReplyDelete